Diane’s Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
November 11, 2016
(Recipe and photos provided by Diane McCormack)
- Pizza crust - thawed (pre-made dough can be found in many supermarkets including Trader Joe's)
- 1 package Sliced Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni and/or other toppings to taste
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup Prepared pizza sauce
- Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese
- Sprinkle Red Pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cast Iron Skillet - greased with olive oil
- Unwrap your dough and put in an oiled bowl for 1 hour.
- After the hour, stretch out dough and place in skillet. Let rest for another 30 minutes, stretching it out as it shrinks back. Make sure the dough is stretched halfway up the side of the skillet.
- Shingle the cheese slices starting in the middle and working outward until all the cheese is used, making sure you press the cheese so it too goes up the sides of the pan. (This cheese and crust gets all browned and is EVERYTHING!)
- Next put your toppings directly on the cheese. Then add lots of sauce over the cheese and toppings.
- Finish by sprinkling Parmesan cheese, pepper flakes and oregano over the sauce.
- **Bake for 30 minutes then check the bottom of the crust. If it's lightly browned and crusty it's done, if it's pale and/or still doughy bake for another 10 minutes. If the sides of the crust look overly browned cover with foil to finish cooking the bottom!